Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Graduation

Well kids, since today is exactly two months from my graduation, I figured let's talk about that, shall we?

Frankly, I cannot believe that I'm graduating in two months. It felt like it was going to be a thousand years before it actually happened. I mean, this time four years ago, I didn't even know what school I was going to yet. I didn't find out/decide on Emerson until April I believe. And now, here I am, talking to my mom on the the phone at painstaking length about tickets and invitations and dinners and dresses. A-C-K. With the date pending, I can't help but think about the beginning and how far I've come (or rather, how much has changed). Of course, I had heard lots of things about college (most of them from tv. not many people went to college, let alone graduated in the four year time span.) I was excited, but that was mostly because I was going away. That meant that I was free to like do my own thing and make new friends and stuff.

just a side note: I have a terrible habit of going to a new school and pretty much getting all new friends. I don't mean to do it, but usually there is some reason. Namely, I move away and suck at keeping in touch with people. I'm trying to work on it though. But I'll explore this more deeply in my 'friend' post. Look out for it.

Okay, so college. It has been really fun actually. I mean, when I'm not doing homework or in class. Moreso in class because I suck at doing homework. Seriously. I suck. I have learned a lot and I have made some great friends. I've also gotten to have some awesome experiences. One of them was definitely going to LA. Actually, I think that was the most awesome experience of my life. EVER. Loved every minute of it. And the fact that I got to do it through school is even more exciting because I got to give LA a test drive. I will definitely be moving back there eventually. But we'll talk more about that in the 'Acting' post. See? I've been planning things here.

But now, things are almost over. I think I'm getting to the hardest part of it all really. Senioritis is kicking in and I'm running out of motivation. But I want to graduate with a 3.5 gpa. See my dilemma? I just have to keep pushing through. Righ after spring break is always hard. Speaking of spring break, you know what else bugs me about graduation? Lasts. Last Thanksgiving break, last Christmas break, last Spring Break. It's my last winter in Boston (actually, I'm not sad about that. This place sucks when it's cold). Or my last St. Patrick's Day here (and the first that I was actually old enough to drink). My last mid-terms (not that I had any). I think senior year is always marked with lasts. But it was different in high school. You knew you still had 4 more years of school. Sunday was my last Greyhound ride to school. Unless I go home next month for some reason. I just don't know what I'm going to do on my last day of classes. Hide? Cry? Have a party? Probably the latter, lol.

And then there's the whole post-graduation. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me what I'm going to do when I graduate. I'd say maybe once a week? Maybe a little more, a little less depending. But yeah. It's my least favorite question. For awhile, it seemed like all me and my friends could talk about what we're going to do after graduation. For future reference, I'm graduating, moving the hell out of Boston, going home to NYC, living with my parents rent free until I can't stand it and getting a job. I'll probably start auditioning in September. There. Don't ask me again or I will shoot you. I promise. Frankly one of my most important things is getting a job because the student loan people don't care about me going off to find myself. They're gonna want their money come November so I better have it ready for them. S-C-A-R-Y. But I will make it. I'm not really worried actually. Well I am, but I guess I have no choice but to be ready. It's coming and I can't stop it. Graduation is like a runaway train.

1 comment:

Tracy Fancher said...

I hate the 'what are you doing after graduation' question! that's all i've been getting too!

I just wanna say..i'm gonna live! leave me alone!

but congrats on making it through 4 years of Emerson, I obviously couldn't handle i!